Oversize Insurance, bonding and special requirements
for more information call 334-242-6700
1. All existing insurance requirements of Alabama, including, but not limited to those of the Public Service Commission shall be observed. In addition the amount of liability or bond specified by Section 32-9-29, Code of Alabama (1975), as amended, is required. No annual permit shall be issued until the applicant furnishes proof that he is in compliance with these insurance or bond requirements. The State of Alabama Department of Transportation 1409 coliseum Boulevard, Montgomery, AL, 36110 shall be listed as a Certificate holder with the applicants Insurance Company and the Department shall be notified by the Insurance Company of any changes in the applicants coverage. Should the insurance or bond become void by expiration, cancellation or for any other reason during the effective period of the permit, the permit shall immediately become forever void. Should the permit holder reinstate his insurance or bond coverage he must re-apply for an annual permit and pay the full price for a new permit.
a. Single Trip Permits
1. All existing insurance requirements of Alabama, including, but not limited to those of the Public Service Commission shall be observed. Proof of the minimum insurance required by the Public Service Commission must be on file with the State of Alabama Highway Department Permit Office prior to a permit being issued to transport a vehicle or combination of vehicles and loads whose width exceeds fourteen (14) feet.
City of chicago
Prior to receiving an overweight vehicle permit, the applicant must:
1. Furnish an Insurance Certificate of Comprehensive General Liability for a minimum of $1,000,000 and an Endorsement in the additional insured portion of the certificate that reads:
“City of Chicago is additional insured, as their interest may appear.”
2. Furnish a Certificate of Automobile Insurance for a minimum of $1,000,000 for use of any motor vehicle by the applicant conducting business on City of Chicago streets, including parking of the vehicles on the public way. An endorsement in the additional insured portion of the certificate must read
“City of Chicago is additional insured.”
3. Have all policies written by a “Best A” rated insurance company that is licensed to conduct business in the State of Illinois.
4. Provide a Federal Employee Identification (FEIN). Application will not be processed without a FEIN number.
5. Send an original certificate of insurance to the City of Chicago as the certificate holder:
City of Chicago
Department of Transportation
121 North LaSalle Street
City Hall, Room 905
Chicago, IL 60602
*Failure to provide the exact information requested above will result in the rejection of your insurance and the denial of the permit request.
Questions should be directed to Sue Pawlak at:
Any permit load requires a Certificate of Liability that consist of the following amounts of public liability: $300,000 each accident; $100,000 each person injured; total property damage, $50,000; public property damage, $50,000. The certificate must show the Department of Transportation as the certificate holder and must remain of file for the duration of the permit. This requirement may be found in the Official Rules of the State of Georgia, Department of Transportation, 672-2.03(d).
Georgia Department of Public Safety
Attn: Oversize Permit Unit
P.O. Box 1456
Atlanta, GA 30371
Louisiana requires that a certificate of insurance , which insures any damage to state property must be posted at the Truck permit office before any permit is issued for vehicles and loads which are overweight and/or 14 wide or over. The minimum amount of the certificate of insurance must be $100,000 for one trip or $250,000 for a year.
Louisiana Department of Transportation
Truck Permit Office
P.O. Box 94042
Baton Rouge, La 70804
Mississippi requires that a certificate of insurance is on file with the permit office before a oversize/overweight permit can be obtained. The certificate must be for Auto liability if the load is being hauled and General liability if the permit is for a vehicle that is self propelled.
Mississippi Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 1850
Jackson, MS 39215
Insurance Certificate required
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commision-Motor Carrier Unit
P.O. Box 133
Trenton, NJ 08666
New Mexico requires that a certificate of insurance is on file with the permit office before a oversize/overweight permit can be obtained. Proof of coverage of at least $50,000/$100,000/$25,000.
New Mexico Department of Public Safety
Motor Transportation Permit office
P.O. Box 1628
Santa Fe, NM 87504
If you require additional information you may call (614) 351-5551.
OS32 form is required to be on file with the state.
Completed forms may be mailed to:
Special Hauling Permit Office
1610 West Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43223
or sent by facsimile to
(614) 728-4098 or (614) 728-4099.
TDOT OS/OW Permit Office
James K Polk Building, Suite 800
505 Deaderick Street
Nashville, TN 37243
e-mail to TDOT.PermitOffice@tn.gov
All motor carriers operating in Utah must file proof of insurance with the Department in accordance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety regulations (FMCSR) 387.9. Fax Certificate of Insurance to 801-965-4399
There are many local municipalities and counties that require permits in addition to what is issued by the states. It is advisable that you check with those local authorities when you are traveling on routes that are not authorized on you permit. Some of these local jurisdictions also require insurance on file in order to obtain the necessary permits required to travel on their roads.
Disclaimer. Information contained herein is obtained from sources believed to be reliable. However, accuracy is not guaranteed. © 2008 National Permit Services, Inc.
This page last updated 01/26/2017